AN INTRODUCTION TO AUA
To date, almost 400,000 Thais have attended English classes at AUA. Over 28,000 foreigners have studied Thai at AUA, while AUA Thai text books are used in universities and colleges throughout the world. The language center also conducts a wide range of educational and cultural activities for both specialists and the general public, including lectures, films, plays, exhibits, and many social activities. For the past 28 years, AUA has also organized orientation programs for those planning to study in the United States.
THE HISTORY OF AUA
AUA Language Center, often simply referred to as AUA, was established as a binational center in 1952 to "promote further mutual understanding between the people of Thailand and the United States through instruction in their respective languages, customs and traditions." Both English and Thai are taught at the main center, located in the heart of Bangkok on Ratchadamri Road. The Language Center is a non-profit, non-political and non-religious organization, governed by a board of Thai and American members The real history of the AUA Language Center goes back to 1924. At that time, Thai students returning from their studies in the US and their American friends in Thailand started the American University Alumni Association as a purely social organization. In 1940, AUAA was registered as an Association under the patronage of H. M. the King for the purpose of promoting freindship, education, culture, charity, sports and entertainment. Today, AUAA has over 2,000 members and continues to make an important contribution to Thailand through educational and charitable works.